SUSF formed the Capacity Building Action Team (CBAT) in 2018. CBAT’s mission is to advance health equity through mutual learning and capacity building that leads to systemic changes for healthy eating/active living-focused nonprofits and funders. To achieve its mission, CBAT uses the following strategies:
- offering mini-grants
- technical assistance
- organizing convenings with healthy eating/active living-focused nonprofits and funders for sustainable growth and impact
- learning opportunities
What is Capacity Building?
We define capacity building as whatever is needed to bring a nonprofit to the next level of operational, programmatic, financial, or organizational maturity, so it may more effectively and efficiently advance its mission into the future. Grants for capacity building typically support infrastructure or administrative expenses, rather than programmatic expenses. Examples include technology upgrades, coaching, accounting help, strategic planning, board coaching, leadership training, etc.
CBAT events and learning opportunities
- Lunch & Learn: Embodied Self-Care – May 3 and June 7, 2023
- Sugar & Decoloniality 2.0 – April – September, 2023
- Sugar & Decoloniality – September 15, 2022
- Lunch & Learn with Saeeda Hafiz – July 7, 2022
- The Sweet Spot: Leveraging the SF Soda Tax to Advance Health Equity – June 20, 2019