What is Shape Up SF’s Capacity Building Action Team (CBAT)? Shape Up San Francisco formed the Capacity Building Action Team (CBAT) in 2018 to advance health equity through mutual learning and capacity building that leads to systemic changes for healthy eating/active living-focused nonprofits and funders. To achieve its mission, CBAT uses the following strategies: offering mini-grants, trainings, mentorship, technical assistance, resources, and organizing convenings with healthy eating/active living-focused nonprofits and funders for sustainable growth and impact.
Shape Up SF defines capacity building as whatever is needed to bring a nonprofit to the next level of operational, programmatic, financial, or organizational maturity, so it may more effectively and efficiently advance its mission into the future. Grants for capacity building typically support infrastructure or administrative expenses, rather than programmatic expenses. Examples include technology upgrades, coaching, accounting help, strategic planning, board coaching, leadership training, etc.
What is the purpose of this mini-grant and how much funding is available? The purpose of this grant is to support the capacity of small nonprofits to serve the community. There are three $10,000 grants available with a grant contract of 1 year.
Who can apply for this grant? You must meet ALL criteria to apply.
- Organizations must have a focus on healthy eating and/or active living
- Organizations must be based or provide services in San Francisco
- Organizations must have a budget of less than $500,000 a year
- Organizations must have leadership (board and/or staff) from the communities they serve
- Organizations must be a 501c3 or fiscally sponsored by a 501c3.
If funded, grantees are expected to:
- Attend Shape Up SF quarterly meetings
- Participate in Shape Up SF’s learning community
- Participate in evaluation
In addition to the grant funds, CBAT would like to provide grantees with the opportunity to learn as a cohort through regular networking meetings to discuss capacity building, challenges with their organization and the nonprofit sector and CBAT will provide training and learning opportunities from consultants and experts in the field to enhance capacity building work. More details to come!
Office Hours – Two information sessions will be held on 3/16 and 3/24 at 10:30 am.
You must register in advance for office hours. Register for the March 16 office hours. Register for the March 24 office hours. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
The office hours will be recorded and posted on this page. For questions about the application not covered during office hours, email David Byrd and firstname.lastname@example.org by April 8, 2022.
2020 Grantees – In 2020, CBAT awarded capacity building mini-grants of $7,091 to five organizations. Read more about who they are and how they used the funds.
Shape Up SF (SUSF) is a coalition of SF organizations that envision an equitable, thriving community where all who live, work, learn and play in San Francisco enjoy optimal health. Our mission is to advance health equity in San Francisco by collaborating with community on systems changes that increase nutrition security and active living.
Shape Up SF members benefit from the following:
- Being a part of a Learning Community
- Networking with mission-aligned organizations
- Opportunities to educate policymakers about the coalition’s policy priorities
- Developing relationships with local funders
- Access to capacity building, leadership, training, and funding opportunities
- Mini-grants (for capacity building, HEAL week, Promoting a Culture of Health)
- Collaborating with key leaders across SFDPH
- Outreach opportunities: SUSF newsletters and Google Group allow partners to learn and share funding opportunities, job openings, etc.