Did you make it to the Chronic Disease Prevention Grants Informational Session on 4/10? Written answers to the submitted questions and questions answered at the Informational Meeting are now available on the Shape Up Coalition and the Tobacco Free Project’s websites!
Chronic diseases are largely preventable, yet they remain the leading cause of premature morbidity and mortality in California, and the main source of increasing health costs in the United States. Chronic diseases are responsible for 7 in 10 deaths among Americans each year and account for nearly 75% of the nation’s health spending. Disparities exist by ethnicity including for heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes. Overall, African American men and women have the highest death rates in SF.
The San Francisco Study Center (SFSC), in partnership with Community Health Equity & Promotion (CHE&P) Branch, San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH), is now accepting proposals with the intent to fund up to 14 community-based organizations (CBOs) for Chronic Disease Prevention Projects from approximately July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019. A total of $400,000 is available. Collaboration between multiple agencies is encouraged.
AVAILABLE FUNDING TYPES:
- Promoting a Culture of Health in Priority Population Grants – $160,000 total
Up to eight (8) grants up to $20,000 each. These funds will be awarded to eight (8) community-based organization(s) to support healthy eating and active living (HEAL). Funded Projects would choose from a menu of projects in healthy eating, active living, community assessment, and education.
- Focus Group Discussion in Priority Populations Grants – $120,000 total
Up to three (3) grants for $40,000 each. These funds will be awarded to community-based organization(s) serving the Chinese, and/or African American communities, and/or clients accessing behavioral health (mental health and substance use) services. In partnership with CHE&P, the Funded Projects will host three (3) focus groups in their communities.
- Quit Smoking (Tobacco Use Harm Reduction) in Priority Populations Grants – $120,000 total
Up to three (3) grant for $40,000 each. These funds will be awarded to community-based organizations serving one (or more) of the following priority communities: African American, and/or Latinx, and/or LGBTQ, and/or people at risk or living with HIV/AIDS. In partnership with CHE&P staff, the Funded Projects will implement an intervention to help people in their community to quit smoking.
Organizations may submit proposals for all of the different types of funding, but only one award will be made per agency/organization. A separate proposal must be submitted for each project.
Important Dates and Times:
1. March 19, 2018 – RFP issued
2. April 6, 2018 at 12:00 noon – Questions due for informational meeting
3. April 10, 2018 from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm – Informational meeting (25 Van Ness, room 610). A summary of the informational meeting will be posted on the following websites: shapeupsfcoalition.org and http://bit.ly/cdpgrants; and e-mailed to those who submit questions and/or attend the informational meeting.
4. April 20, 2018 by 12:00 noon – Proposals due to Attn: Arletha Murray, 25 Van Ness Ave., Suite 500, San Francisco, CA.
PLEASE NOTE* 25 Van Ness 5th floor reception hours: 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm
5. End of April – Technical Review
6. Award notification sent out – May 2018
7. Project negotiations, MOUs developed and signed – May – June 2018
8. Term for funded projects – July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019
To apply for funding, complete the application and submit one (1) original and three (3) copies by 12 noon on April 20, 2018 to: Arletha Murray, SF Department of Public Health, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94102.
Please email questions about the RFP to firstname.lastname@example.org.